Support Directory Of Behavioral Health Resources
The organizations listed below are sources of information and support to our current and former patients, as well as their friends and family. They address a variety of topics relating to mental health and substance abuse issues. Sovereign Health encourages you to visit these websites as part of an ongoing commitment to recovery. The links are for informational purposes only and do not constitute an endorsement by Sovereign Health or any of its employees for any of the sites’ sponsors or presented products.
Information, resources, and support services for patients with mental health disorders are offered by the following organizations:
- National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) — is the government’s lead agency for research on mental disorders dedicated to their cure and prevention. They are a source of information for a wide range topics related to mental health.
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) — a nonprofit organization whose mission is to raise awareness about mental health issues. They offer support to the millions of Americans battling severe mental illnesses while also helping their friends and families with valuable resources and information.
- Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance (DBSA) — is a peer-directed national organization that seeks to educate and empower patients with depression and bipolar disorder. The site provides helpful information to the friends and families of these patients as well as the clinicians who treat them.
- Mentalhealth.gov — offers information provided by the government regarding mental health conditions and the kinds of treatment available. Visitors to the site are directed to the resources they need to help with mental health and substance abuse issues.
- Mental Health America (MHA) — since 1909 the mission of this community-based, nonprofit organization has been to bring support and recovery to those Americans who are living with mental illness.
The following websites provide alcohol and drug addiction help for families and their loved ones:
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) — SAMHSA is an agency within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Their mission is to reduce the impact of substance abuse and mental illness throughout society. To that end, they are a source of information and support services to those individuals and their communities challenged by these issues.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) — NIDA is dedicating to advancing addiction science. They monitor drug use trends and provide the most current information about research on drug abuse.
- NIDA for Teens – This organization offers teens information about drugs and the specific ways drug abuse impacts them. The site is an excellent source of information for both parents and teachers as well. They provide information about addiction science as well as the social and cultural influences influencing teen drug use.
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse & Alcoholism (NIAAA) — Since 1970, NIAAA has worked to reduce alcohol-related problems by conducting research and supporting the efforts of other organizations to better understand alcohol abuse. They focus on a wide range of scientific areas including genetics, neuroscience, and epidemiology. They share the information they gather with health care providers, researchers, policymakers, and the public.
- The National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse (CASA) —focuses on the economic and social toll taken substance. They study the role our society’s institutions have in both prevention and treatment and provide information to policy makers, patients and healthcare providers.